Cornelia Ho-Chin Dai
Cornelia Dai is a partner at Hadsell Stormer & Renick LLP, a plaintiff-side law firm in Pasadena, California. Ms. Dai specializes in employment law and civil rights, with a focus on class actions and complex litigation. She represents individuals and groups at all stages of litigation, from pre-lawsuit negotiations through trial and the appellate process. She practices in both state and federal court.
Ms. Dai has fought to protect and vindicate the rights of individuals her entire career. She has successfully litigated a wide range of matters, including workplace harassment and discrimination, whistleblowing, wrongful termination, wage and hour violations, improper work conditions, and free speech infringement. In many of them, she has obtained favorable settlements for her clients ranging in the thousands to millions of dollars. Notable cases include Wang v. Chinese Daily News, a class action involving violations of overtime and meal and rest break laws by a Chinese-language newspaper company. There, she and her co-counsel obtained a judgment of more than $5.1 million in one of the first class actions to go to trial in California. Ms. Dai was also one of the plaintiffs' counsel in South Central Farmers Feeding Families v. City of Los Angeles, a case brought on behalf of over 300 low-income families in a struggle to preserve land for a much-needed urban community garden in South Los Angeles. In addition, she was one of the Doe plaintiffs' counsel in the state litigation of the international human rights case Doe v. Unocal, which involved human rights abuses by a large oil company against Burmese villagers.
Ms. Dai has been named to the Southern California Super Lawyers® list as a Rising Star or Super Lawyer each year since 2005, and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America every year since 2012. In 2011, she was selected as one of the Top 75 Labor & Employment Lawyers in California by the Daily Journal. Ms. Dai was also featured in the July 2007 issue of Southern California Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars in an article entitled “For Abusive Employers, The Dai Has Been Cast.” She is recognized as a Top Trial Lawyer by the National Trial Lawyers Top 100, an organization composed of the most qualified attorneys in each state who exemplify superior qualifications, trial results and leadership in civil plaintiff or criminal defense law.
Ms. Dai is an active member of the Executive Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law section and Co-Chair of the California Employment Lawyers Association’s Wage and Hour Committee. She also serves on the Executive Advisory Council of Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Los Angeles (Advancing Justice – LA), the nation’s largest legal and civil rights organization for Asian Americans which serves more than 15,000 individuals and organizations every year through direct services, impact litigation, policy advocacy, leadership development, and capacity building. In addition, she is on the Board of the Foundation for Advocacy, Inclusion and Resources (FAIR), a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing diversity among the plaintiff's employment bar and raising public consciousness about workers' rights. Ms. Dai is frequently asked to speak on employment and wage and hour topics by legal organizations and law schools.
Ms. Dai is a 1995 graduate of U.C. Berkeley, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology. She earned her Juris Doctorate from U.S.C. Law School in 1999.
Areas of Practice
- Employee and Worker Rights
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 2000
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2005
- University of Southern California Law School, Los Angeles, California
- J.D. - 1999
- U.C. Berkeley, Berkeley, California
- B.A. - 1995
- Major: Sociology
- For Abusive Employers, The Dai Has Been Cast, Los Angeles Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine, Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007
- Los Angeles County Bar Assoc; CELA
- American Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Southern California Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars, 2005 - 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2012 - 2014
- The Top 75 Labor & Employment Lawyers in California, Daily Journal
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Top Attorneys for Labor & Employment, Pasadena Magazine, 2010 - 2013
- LA Regional Social Justice Award, 2006 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Los Angeles County Bar Association - Labor & Employment Law Section, Executive Committee
- CA Employment Lawyers Association, Co-Chair of Wage and Hour Committee
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Los Angeles, Executive Advisory Council
- Foundation for Advocacy, Inclusion and Resources, Board
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- National Lawyers' Guild