First Los Angeles Lawsuit Filed Against Airbnb for Unlawful Ellis Act Eviction
On December 16, 2015, Hadsell Stormer & Renick, LLP filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court against Airbnb and landlords of a four-unit apartment building in the Fairfax neighborhood of Los Angeles. In the lawsuit, the plaintiffs allege that Airbnb and the landlords violated state and local law by illegally evicting them in order for their rent-control units to be re-rented for short-term rentals at much higher market rates through Airbnb.
The Ellis Act, a California law, was enacted to allow landlords of residential properties subject to rent control to evict tenants and "go out of business." The City of Los Angeles enacted the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance to regulate the withdrawal from the market of rental control units and Ellis Act evictions in the City of Los Angeles.
In this lawsuit, as justification for the forced eviction of the plaintiffs, the landlords filed documents with the City of Los Angeles representing that the entire apartment building was being removed from the market for five years. Just weeks after the tenants had been evicted, however, the landlords turned around and re-offered the properties through Airbnb at rates that were as much as ten times the rent they were legally authorized to charge. The plaintiffs have brought claims against both the landlords and Airbnb, as the short-term rental platform, for the failure to re-rent the Fairfax apartments back to Plaintiffs and at their prior rate.
**If you have been subjected to an unlawful Ellis Act eviction, please call: (626) 585-9600.
Leading California Employment Lawyers and Defenders of Civil Rights
For over 40 years, our attorneys have been achieving results that have established our firm as a leader in employment and civil rights law. Our attorneys are regularly recognized as the best in their field:
- The firm has received the highest rating possible for professional excellence from Martindale Hubbell, "AV Preeminent."
- The firm has repeatedly been ranked as a Tier 1 law firm by U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms".
- Barbara Hadsell, Cornelia Dai, Dan Stormer and Randy Renick have repeatedly been selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers list, most recently in 2014.
- Josh Piovia-Scott, Cindy Pánuco, Lincoln Ellis and Mary Tanagho Ross have repeatedly been selected to the Southern California Super Lawyers-Rising Stars list, most recently in 2014.
- Dan Stormer and Barbara Hadsell have been selected as being among the Top 100 Lawyers in Southern California and Dan Stormer has been selected for this honor every year since this survey has been conducted. He has also been repeatedly selected among the Top 10 Lawyers in Southern California.
- Dan Stormer and Cornelia Dai have been selected as being among the Best 75 Labor and Employment Attorneys in California by the preeminent legal journal in the country, the Daily Journal.
- Dan Stormer has also repeatedly been selected as being among the Top Labour and Employment Lawyers in the World; the Top 500 Lawyers in the U.S.; the Top 500 Litigators in the U.S. and the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
Why Pick Us?
We are the lawyers that other lawyers go to when the case is too complicated or the opposition too fierce. We train employment and civil rights attorneys throughout the state of California and the nation. We represent the "little guy" - to make society more equitable and fair. And we have a reputation for taking on the biggest and most powerful corporations and government entities - and winning.
Our seasoned attorneys are experienced in both state and federal court and at taking cases through trial if a suitable settlement cannot be reached. We are also skilled in handling cases at the appellate level and have led the charge in obtaining decisions in the interests of workers and their families.