Pasadena Whistleblower Retaliation Attorneys
We Are Deeply Committed to Providing Practical Legal Guidance in Los Angeles
Hadsell Stormer Renick & Dai LLP believes that people who speak out to report illegal activities should be rewarded by their employers, not punished. Unfortunately, many honest employees who file whistleblower claims in good faith often have to endure retaliation from their employers in the form of workplace harassment, undesired transfers, or outright termination.
However, employers do not have infinite power over workers in these situations — although many act as if they do. If you have suffered retaliation because you told the truth about prohibited personnel practices, fraud, corruption, or any other illegal activity, then we encourage you to turn to our accomplished whistleblower attorneys for reliable legal counsel.
Serving the greater Los Angeles area!
Whistleblower Laws in California
According to California Labor Code Section 1102.5, it is illegal for employers to retaliate against an employee for reporting a violation of a state or federal law or noncompliance with a local, state, or federal rule or regulation.
This law also protects employees who report illegal activity to:
- Direct supervisors
- Internal watchdogs
- The police
- And other authorities
Reports submitted to the Labor Commissioner and State Auditor are also covered by this law.
What Is Considered Whistleblower Retaliation?
Workplace retaliation against whistleblowers can take a variety of forms, some being more subtle than others.
Examples of retaliation you might face after filing a whistleblower complaint include:
- Wrongful termination
- Demotion or refusal to promote you to a higher position
- Refusing to include you in training or professional development opportunities
- Refusing access to resources that are necessary to do your job properly
- Finding yourself the target of unwarranted disciplinary action
- Denial of benefits, bonuses, or promotions
- Being subjected to harassment or a hostile or unsafe working environment
What Damages Are Available for Whistleblower Retaliation?
If you experienced retaliation after filing a whistleblower complaint, then you can file a lawsuit to pursue the following damages:
- Lost wages and benefits
- Compensation for physical pain, mental suffering, and/or loss of career opportunities
- Punitive damages if the employer's action were egregious
Whistleblower Cases We've Handled
At Hadsell Stormer Renick & Dai LLP, our extensive experience across the spectrum of employment law enables us to identify valid whistleblower retaliation cases and usher them through to just outcomes.
Our victories in whistleblower retaliation cases include:
- A $4.3 million verdict and judgment for a Los Angeles Police Department employee who was fired in retaliation for refusing to alter her testimony in a separate lawsuit against the LAPD
- A $5 million confidential settlement in 2010 on behalf of two whistleblowers who reported misconduct by their employer to a state agency
- A settlement of over $1.3 million for two City of El Segundo employees who reported sexual harassment and racial discrimination on the job
- Negotiation of a $635,000 settlement and return to the job for a City of Pomona police officer who was harassed out of his job for reporting police misconduct
- A $1.2 million confidential settlement and a $770,000 arbitration award in separate whistleblower retaliation cases resolved in 2004
Proven Legal Counsel Protecting Your Rights
If you have been retaliated against for reporting wrongdoing, we will help you stand up for doing what is right. Our lawyers are well-versed in the application of various U.S. federal laws that protect employees from retaliation, as well as public employees’ rights under the California Whistleblower Protection Act. We are here to provide information and guidance if you want to come forward or if you already have suffered retaliation for doing so.
Call us now at (626) 775-7870 or fill out our online form to set up a free case consultation with our experienced Pasadena whistleblower retaliation lawyers.